I hope this finds you well and enjoying the final days of summer. As we prepare for the upcoming school year, I invite you to peruse the new MA-ASTA website and consider participating in the following programs.
New this year:
Mentorship Program – we are now accepting requests for mentors (If you wish to serve as a mentor, please contact us.)
MA-ASTA Solo Competition – junior & senior divisions. March 15, 2014 at The Boston Conservatory.
Quartet/Quintet Competition – for college age ensembles, performing in any style. January 25, 2014 at the Berklee College of Music.
ASTA-CAP – now in its 4th year, has proven to be a very successful program. The first evaluation of this school year will be held on Sunday, November 17, 2013, at Dana Hall school in Wellesley, MA.
Studio Teacher Forums – fun, informative, informal sessions.
MA-ASTA Grants – small grants to help you get your ideas off the ground. Congratulations to Denise Carter, our first grantee, who will be starting a Viola Quartet at her private violin and viola studio in Arlington Center. Watch for her session "Yoga for the Musician" at the ASTA 2014 National Conference in Louisville, Kentucky.
MA-ASTA Composition Competition – now in its second year.
Our sincere gratitude and appreciation to the following members who are retiring from the MA-ASTA Board of Directors:
- Charlene Monte, retiring after many years of dedicated service as the Southeast Representative and liaison to MMEA.
- Liz Ehrman, who served last year as as Secretary. Liz will continue to help run the Quartet/Quintet Competition and the Eclectic Styles Festival.
- Michael Reynolds, retiring from the board as Higher Education Representative.
- Many thanks to Ken Culver, retiring as webmaster after many years. While giving up those duties, Ken will continue to serve on the board.
- Jessica Billings-White has taken over the running of our newly redesigned website.
- Welcome to Rictor Noren, who has joined the board as the Higher Education Representative.
Coming soon: MA-ASTA fall potluck – date tbd.
I hope to see you soon,