In the interest of efficiency, we will be moving to a monthly e-newsletter. Please send in any announcements you wish to see included one week prior to the 1st of the month. Many thanks,
- The first Annual MA-ASTA Chamber Music Competition was held on January 25, 2014 at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. Our distinguished judges (Liz Ehrman, Mimi Rabson and Daniel Stepner) were very impressed by the quality and passion of the participating ensembles. First place went to the Julius Quartet, which is the honors quartet at The Boston Conservatory (Hyun Jeong Helen Lee and David Do, violins, John Batchelder, viola, and Byron Hogan, cello). The quartet will be performing at area schools during the spring semester. We can accommodate one or two more programs. If you wish to have them visit your school, please send your request to me as soon as possible. Honorable mention went to the International Sweethearts of Strings (Adrianna Ciccone, Sadie Currey, YeJi Yoon, Marta Roma) from the Berklee College of Music. Next year the competition will be expanded to include a junior division.
- The board has been in conversation with the national office and the members of the Rhode Island chapter. At some point this year RISTA will be dissolving, and their members will be joining the MA-ASTA. We are very happy to welcome them into our chapter. If you have any questions regarding this move, please feel free to contact the board.
- I received the following from Tami O'Brien at the national office: “On behalf of the board and staff of ASTA, congratulations! I am pleased to announce that Massachusetts has won the ASTA Membership Recruitment Award this year with the largest net gain of members over the past calendar year. Your award will be presented on Wednesday, March 5, during the State Leadership Workshop at the ASTA National Conference in Louisville.” Our president-elect, Deanna Leedy, will be accepting the award.
- The deadline for the first MA-ASTA Solo Competition has been extended to February 15, 2014. Don't miss this opportunity! There are many exciting prizes, both cash and merchandise (sponsors include The Boston Symphony Orchestra, Johnson String Instrument, and Coda Bow).
- The deadline for the next ASTA-CAP registration is approaching. Applications must be postmarked by February 12, 2014.
- The next Studio Teacher Forum will take place Monday, February 10, 2014, 10:00–11:30 am, at the Watertown Public Library, 123 Main Street, Watertown, MA. Denise Carter will present Yoga for Musicians.
The Atlantic Youth Orchestra, Susan Bill, conductor, will present a concert on Friday evening, Feb. 7th, 2014, at 7 pm at St. Chrysostom's Episcopal Church, 523 Hancock St., Quincy, MA. The Atlantic Youth Orchestra was formed in 2009 and includes both young people and adult beginners. The concert will feature all styles of music, from Bach to pop. There is no admission charge. A "Meet The Musicians" reception will follow. Everyone is invited.